Our Complaints Handling Procedure

Internal complaints procedure

We would like you to be aware that we operate an internal complaints procedure. The primary purpose of this procedure is to address complaints from our clients but is also intended to improve the quality of service that we provide to our clients.

Who Should I Contact? 

If you have a complaint, in the first instance we would ask you to address this to the person dealing with your case, but if this is not possible or you have already done so, but are not satisfied then please contact Tom Street our Client Care Partner.

Tom Street can be contacted at:

By Post at: Tom Street & Co Solicitors, Maidsgrove Farm, Warminster Road, Standerwick, Somerset BA11 2PY

By Phone on: 01373 452 888 

By Mobile on: 07974 371 995 

By Fax on: 0845 528 0383

By e-mail at: mail@tomstreet.co.uk

How Should I Make My Complaint? 

Whilst complaints may be made in person, by telephone or in writing (including by e-mail), it is preferable if the complaint is submitted in writing, so that the full facts may be set out clearly and without ambiguity. The complaint can then be fully considered before the firm’s final response is given.

In the meantime, Tom Street will always attempt to speak to you either in person or by telephone.

It is helpful when making a complaint if you can identify the person who is dealing with your matter and specify the exact nature of your dissatisfaction.

What Happens Once I have Made a Complaint? 

On receiving your complaint, Tom Street will write to you within 3 working days, record your complaint in our central register and open a separate file in respect of the complaint. You will be advised of the specific complaint reference.

Within 10 working days or earlier, if there is a degree of urgency to the complaint, Tom Street will look at the file and interview the Partner or fee earner concerned. If necessary the Client Care Partner, Tom Street, may ask you for further details by telephone, in a personal interview or by letter.

What Happens if my Complaint is About a Bill? 

If you have a query or concern about any bill the firm has rendered to you, in the first instance we ask you to raise this with the solicitor or fee earner dealing with your case.

If you are not satisfied with their response, the matter will be passed to our accounts department for further investigation.

If you still object to a bill, you also have the right to make an application to the Court for an Assessment of the Bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.

How Do You Resolve Complaints? 

It is the aim of Tom Street & Co Solicitors to resolve any problems as quickly as possible and ideally within 14 days of the complaint having been received. We will always endeavour to resolve any complaint to the satisfaction of our client. If our Client Care Partner considers that the complaint is justified then it will be resolved positively, for example by an apology, an explanation or perhaps transferring the matter to another fee earner within the firm.

What Happens Once the Complaint Has Been Resolved? 

Once the matter has been resolved, a note will be made and a letter sent to you confirming our response to the complaint. All the relevant paperwork will be kept in our central Register of Complaints, which is maintained at the Standerwick office.

What Happens if my Complaint is Still Not Resolved or I am Dissatisfied with the Outcome? 

If you remain dissatisfied following our Client Care Partner’s response then you may ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the complaint. The Legal Ombudsman can be contacted at http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/